Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Hymns! (republished)

... the first I'm posting, having skipped November. What can I say but they are late! But a good thing is never too late. :)

Today I am posting "As the Hart, About to Falter", a rendition of Psalm 42, and also the advent hymn "Comfort, Comfort, Ye My People", reminiscent of Isaiah 40. I am putting them together since they share the same tune and because they are both beloved to me. I love music that, when read, makes the best poetry. Actual musical roots creates the best meter to read and remember. You can be anywhere and say it or sing it.

Enjoy!


Psalm 42

As the hart, about to falter,
In its trembling agony,
Longs for flowing streams of water,
So, O God, I long for Thee.
Yes, athirst for Thee I cry;
God of life, O when shall I
Come again to stand before thee
In Thy temple and adore Thee?

Bitter tears of lamentation
Are my food by night and day.
In my deep humiliation
"Where is now your God?" they say.
Oh, my soul's poured out in me,
When I bring to memory
How the throngs I would assemble,
Shouting praises in Thy temple.

O my soul, why are you grieving,
Why disquieted in me?
Hope in God, your faith retrieving:
He will still your refuge be.
I again shall laud His grace
For the comfort of His face:
He will show His help and favor,
For He is my God and Savior.

From the land beyond the Jordan,
With my soul cast down in me,
From Mount Mizar and Mount Hermon
I will yet remember Thee.
As the waters plunge and leap, 
Deep reechoes unto deep:
All Thy waves and billows roaring,
O'er my troubled soul is pouring.

But the Lord will send salvation,
And by day His love provide.
He shall be my exultation,
And my song at eventide.
On His praises e'en in the night
I will ponder with delight,
And in prayer, transcending distance,
Seek the God of my existence.

I will say to God my fortress,
"Why hast Thou forgotten me?
Why must I proceed in sadness,
Hounded by the enemy?"
Their rebukes and scoffing words
Pierce my soul like pointed swords
As they say with proud defiance,
"Where is God, your firm reliance?"

O my soul, why are you grieving?
Why disquieted in me?
Hope in God, your faith retrieving,
He will still your refuge be.
I again shall laud His grace
For the comfort of His face:
He will show His help and favor
For He is my God and Savior.



Comfort, Comfort, Ye My People,
Speak ye peace, thus saith our God;
Comfort those who sit in darkness,
Bowed beneath their sorrow's load.
Speak ye to Jerusalem
Of the peace that waits for them
Tell her that her sins I cover, 
And her warfare now is over.

Yea, her sins, our God will pardon,
Blotting out each dark misdeed;
All that well deserved His anger
He will no more see nor heed.
She has suffered many a day,
Now her griefs are passed away;
God will change her pining sadness
Into ever-springing gladness.

For the herald's voice is crying
In the desert far and near,
Bidding all men to repentance,
Since the kingdom now is here.
O that warning cry obey! 
Now prepare for God a way!
Let the valleys rise to greet Him,
And the hills bow down to greet Him.

Make ye straight what long was crooked,
Make the rougher places plain:
Let your hearts be true and humble,
As befits His holy reign,
For the glory of the Lord
Now o'er earth is shed abroad,
And all flesh shall see the token
That His Word is never broken.



Have an excellent advent season, y'all! Joy and goodwill abounding, first between God and man because of Jesus Christ, and so, between men on earth as well.

1 John 4:8
He who does not love, does not know God, for God is love.


Peanuts Christmas song quote: "Oh that we... could always see... such spirit through the year..."


No comments:

Post a Comment